Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Patient Love

1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

Love is patient. I am not. It hit me on the train this morning that in about two months I'll be 26 and I'm still not married. I believe that God does want me to get married. I still remember when I was told to get married at 25, or I thought I'd get married at 22. God is far more patient than me and revealed to me that I still had more growing to do. Needless to say my flesh was not happy about me and even as we speak, it is fighting against my soul. I can say to myself, Why can't I be with that guy? Shouldn't I be doing something right now to speed up the process? I must do...to open the doors for a relationship. I'm ready for a relationship.

But upon God closely examining my heart, for me to get to that marriage step would take a few years. If I submitted every aspect of this area to the Lord and waited on Him to do what He wants to do; the patience in love would come natural because the Lord is the one doing the work in me. But oh no, my flesh wants to do things my way and thus my peace has been robbed and an idol is created because I'm lusting after someone that I have no ownership of. 

How do you endure the temptation when you really really like someone especially if they have godly traits that you'd desire in a future mate? Remembering that I do not own anything. I was bought with a price. God can give and take away as He freely pleases. With that in mind, how should my response be from here on out?
If you are really attracted to someone who's not a believer, always check your motives and if they're not to glorify God, you have no business giving your time and affection to that person. The same applies for believers as well but I suggest to use extra caution here as well. As my best friend encouraged me during this struggle; she told me to:

Give it over to God, all of it.  
Guard your heart and his heart as well.
Enjoy the friendship.
Seek and listen to wise counsel.
Reflect and trust in the Lord's goodness and faithfulness.
Focus on the Lord.

Remember that he/she is worth the wait. Just as we eagerly wait for our Lord's return and He promised good to those who love Him. He will not bring you the wrong person. A heart that doesn't understands patience needs only look to the Lord, who is ever patient with us when our thoughts and actions are all over the place.

When I get impatient like this especially when it comes to love, I do chuckle as the image of a whiny child who pouts and crosses her arms because she didn't get what she want. But then my eyes gaze upon the father who waits for the child to vent all of their frustration and with the right words to say in love stirs a rambunctious heart to be able to find and have peace and rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment