Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What God Made is Good.

Just got done reading Ch. 2 in Sex is Not the Problem ( Lust Is): Sexual Purity in a Lust-Saturated World by Joshua Harris. A couple of points convicted me as I was reading:


"Though the source of lust is our own evil desires, the One who is offended is God. When we choose lust, we are actively rejecting God. (39)"


For me this a hard pill to swallow. I know that I do this but I refuse to accept that I'm doing it. My flesh says that I'm not doing anything wrong; if I"m not lusting after things and not finding my satisfaction in Him. It's a scary thought that should immediately bring me to a point of humility and ask God for His forgiveness. I understand what happens when God is rejected, He gets rid of you. As I've been sharing in the last few blogs about how awesome it is to trust every aspect of love to Him in pursuing the holiness that He commands; it becomes increasingly difficult for me to continue striving.

At the end of the chapter Harris explains, "When we embrace our sexuality and claim it for holiness, we are true to who God made us to be. He made us to be holy. In holiness we find the best and ultimately most deeply satisfying expression of our sexuality. And in holiness we experience the truth of what God made. And what He made is good."

That last line, "And what He made is good." I had to ask myself do I believe that what God made, designed, planned for me is good? It's really good but in the back of my mind Satan's little lies creeps in and says that I'm not good enough. Of course I'm not good enough! I'm a sinner for crying out loud! I'm still on Ch. 2 in this book for a reason, lust is a tough thing to battle. This has helped me to realize that I don't ask God the deep important questions that affect me on this issue. Sex is meant to be enjoyed in the full context of marriage but the real question again that enters my mind is can I trust God with my sexuality? It's an awkward thought to think about. Given the mistakes that I've made in my past, it's scary to talk to God about this. I have no idea how to be grateful and appreciative for God giving me sexual desires. Even as I'm wrestling with it I have to realize that what He sends me is for my good "...and what He made is good."

Joshua Harris's Book can be purchased here.

No comments:

Post a Comment