Sunday, November 21, 2010

Jealousy of Those in Relationships

Over the last few weeks a number of my Christian friends have either started new relationships, gotten engaged or have gotten married. I'm excited for all of this happening in the lives of my friends but I confess my sinful flesh has brought up twinges of jealousy. Especially if you're on the single end of the spectrum, thoughts like : "What about me? Don't I deserve happiness too?" Satan begins to feed lies of jealousy, apathy, pride, anything that he can use to get us to not trust in God.

When I feel my own heart starting to go astray, by the power of the Holy Spirit I am stopped dead in my tracks. Only by His will because my heart really wants to go astray. I'm reminded of Jeremiah 17:9NIV - the heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? It is only then I realize that my heart is look not looking to please God. I have told Him in my heart that what He has ordained for me right now is not sufficient.

Realizing the error of my ways and the ultimate nature of sin is to lead me to death, the fear of the Lord leads me in the correct wisdom and I see in the midst of my sin that the Lord is always with me and catches me before I stumble. Verses in Scripture that encouraging for such a situation like this when Satan has cornered you is:

Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Peter 1:3
[ Make Your Calling and Election Sure ] His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to lifegodliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, and

When I think of all that Jesus has done for us, I have to submit to the will of God because again I understand that my desires wants to lead me to death but God's greater plan  lead me to life and for all those who have been called by Him. How has Christ helped you in this situation? I sign off with this verse of encouragement:


1. I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2.with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3. eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4: 1-3(ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment